The purpose of SierraRios:
- To educate the public about river systems.
- To study and document the geographical characteristics of each river.
- To preserve the cultural lifestyles associated with free-flowing rivers.
- To increase appreciation of beautiful rivers by promoting recreational use.
- To help protect rivers from human-caused degradation.
The strategy of SierraRios:
- Educate the public about the rivers in Latin America through publication of articles, guidebooks, and a website.
- Recruit visitors to the Latin Ameican rivers by offering reasonably-priced guided excursions.
- Explore and document all the rivers in Latin America.
- Provide resources/outfitting services for those exploring rivers on their own.
- Teach others how to run rivers in kayaks and/or rafts - particularly residents along rivers who might help guiding trips.
- Distribute information about planned dams and their consequences.
- Clean up the rivers through organized trash collection trips, educating locals about dumping garbage away from streams, and stopping illegal dumping by manufacturers.